Monday, August 30, 2010

"The Wednesday Sisters" written by Meg Waite Clayton

The Wednesday Sisters is the story of four young women/mothers who meet at the playground and form a lifelong friendship. Set in Palo Alto, circa 1968, Frankie, Brett, Kath and Linda navigate together the fast moving and often turbulent changes in the world around them. The women form a unique friendship when they begin to meet on Wednesdays and grow into a sort of writer's support group. How the "wednesday sisters" react to and explore changes in social mores, the roles of men and women, technology, civil rights & politics while dealing with their individual lives and issues, makes for a somewhat entertaining read but not meaty enough for a great book club discussion.

Overall, I found it a bit tedious and was not very attached to the characters - they just weren't fleshed out enough and at times I found myself confusing them.
In fact, I couldn't even remember their names when I sat down to write this review shortly after I finished reading the book. The plot was too contrived and while the book touches on many possible themes, I am hard-pressed to find one that unified all the elements of the novel. I think perhaps The Wednesday Sisters tried hard to be a grand, sweeping epic but didn't quite succeed. Save this one for a beach read - not great book club material.

No comments:

Post a Comment