Thursday, October 14, 2010

"Peace Like A River" written by Leif Enger

I must confess that I've had a copy of this book for several years now where it's been sitting on the shelf of my "to read" books. Several times over the last four years I have picked it up, looked at it and put it down but I finally read it this week. I know that a book can't be judged by its cover, but this one (although it came highly recommended to me) just wasn't looking very appealing. However, once I actually began reading it I was sorry it took me so long to get to it! It's an unusual story of a family, set in the midwest with a wonderful cast of characters and an intriguing plot, but what I really loved about "Peace Like A River" was Leif Enger's prose. He is clearly a master storyteller, but he also has a wonderful poetic style of writing that is simple yet evocative.

When I find myself thinking about a book days after finishing it, I know I have read something worthwhile. Together the characters, plot and setting create a powerful story of faith, love and family that raises as many questions as it seeks to answer. The Land family (interesting choice for their name) consists of Jeremiah (the dad), Davy (oldest son), Reuben (11 year old son) and Swede (their sister/daughter). They are poor in material wealth but rich in love and spirit. When faced with a terrible string of events that end with Davy running from the law, their faith - both in God and each other - keeps them strong. Despite the tragic events the family suffers, this is a well-written and uplifting story that has more than enough complexity to make it an excellent book club choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment