Thursday, July 22, 2010

"Sarah's Key" written by Tatiana DeRosnay

When a friend suggested I read Sarah’s Key by Tatiana DeRosnay, my initial response was (simply because I have read so many books about this topic) oh no, not another book about WWII and the holocaust. But, despite my initial reaction I read it and am very glad I did. What truly impresses me is that with every book of this genre that I read, I can honestly say that I learn something new about that period of history that I didn’t know. From the opening sentence “The girl [Sarah] was the first to hear the loud pounding on the door” I couldn’t put Sarah's Key down.

The novel is set in WWII France and explores yet another unfathomable atrocity of the holocaust – the Vel’d’hiver. On July 16th, 1942 the French police (yes, the local French gendarme) conducted a well thought out round-up of French Jewish families in the middle of Paris. The round-up was conducted by the French authorities and it was the first time they took entire families including women, infants and children. The fact that this atrocity was conducted by their local police brought the moral dilemma of the holocaust to the hearts and minds of ordinary Parisians for the first time. I won’t give the horrific details of what happened – suffice it to say that if you had no knowledge of history you just wouldn't believe it could happen.

DeRosnay engages the reader with some very likable characters and very a compelling story. She cleverly interweaves of the stories of Sarah, her family and the Vel’d’hiver with the story of Julie, an American expatriate journalist married to a French man and living in modern day Paris. Although the parallel plot is a bit contrived, the convergence of the story lines makes for a very compelling read and an interesting group discussion. Overall, I enjoyed Sarah's Key for a fast read and a great book club pick.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to recommend for my book club! Thanks, Roe

    ReplyDelete